Oregano, Basil & Pumpkin Seed Pesto Recipe
Pesto is a simple sauce to make and provides many cooking opportunities. Here is a recipe I love to make which combines oregano and basil. I often make in larger batches and freeze for future uses listed below. I have used this pesto in the following ways:
- Mixed equal parts with melted pastured butter from you local farmer (mine is The Lands at Hillside Farms), add salt or garlic salt to taste and let solidify. Serve on crusted warm bread at your next dinner party to impress all of your guests.
- Used in place of pizza sauce on my Cauliflower Crusted Bok Choy Skillet.
- Mix with bread crumbs and butter to a consistency you desire. Use as a stuffing for mushrooms caps. Cook for 20 minutes on 350 or until mushrooms are done.
- Freeze in ice cube trays for future use. Use the cubes to add to baby food (any food pairing combination above works wonderfully).
- Add cubes to pasta sauce, pizza sauce, soups, meat marinades for additional flavoring.
- Serve on oven roasted salmon or another favorite fish.
- Toss a cube or two in a pot of steaming clams to kick it up a notch.
- 1 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¾ cup mild olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (more is optional)
- Salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy.