Kale is the king of crucifers. It is warming in nature with a sweet and slightly bitter flavor. It has an excellent source of chlorophyll, calcium, vitamin C, and beta carotene. Not only is this a wonderful bone building veggie but it also rejuvenates the liver because of it’s high chlorophyll content.
Kale is Low Oxalate – No Worries
Kale’s oxalate content is often misunderstood. Oxalate is a compound found natural in some plant products. Oxalate interferes with the absorption of vital minerals such as iron and calcium. The biggest offenders of high oxalate content are rhubarb (500+mg per ½ cup) and spinach (700+ mg per ½ cup cooked).
While kale is in the low oxalate category (1 mg per 1/2 cup raw) it always seems to get lumped into the high oxalate category by default–after all, it is a leafy green–but that does not make it high in oxalate. Surprisingly, one banana has more oxalate than 1 cup of kale!
Preparing Kale for Recipes, Baby Food, Smoothies, & More
To prepare kale for most recipes wash and remove the leaves from the stems. This is a great opportunity to get your children active in the kitchen. Little hands and fingers love to play with kale leaves and can perfectly remove the stems.
Once the leaves are removed you can do the following:
- Coarsely chop the leaves and make the raw kale salad below.
- Add the leaves to boiling water. Cook them for 2 minutes or until they are bright green. Remove from the water and cool. Chop finely and add them to any recipe or freeze for future use. Frozen kale will crumble into your meatloaf, taco meat, salad, soup, smoothie and much more for an added nutrient boost. For kale baby food, I cook and then puree in a blender.
- Don’t toss the stems! Dice them up and freeze them for a nice addition to your morning smoothie.
Raw Kale Salad Recipe
- 2 cups fresh kale
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ lemon- juiced (squeeze with hands)
- 2 tbsp kelp
- Salt to taste
- Wash kale and remove leaves from stems.
- Chop into bite size pieces.
- Massage kale for 2 minutes with olive oil, lemon juice, and kelp.
- Salt to taste.
- Enjoy or refrigerate and add to any salad, wrap or sandwich.
Medicaments are dear, and few patients cannot order the medicaments they need. Choosing the unimprovable treatment version for a racy disease can get really confusing considering the merits and demerits of the available treatment methodologies. For instance Lasix is a loop water pill that prevents your body from absorbing too much salt. No doubts, take Lasix only as prescribed by your soundness care professional. Levitra is an ideal drug for helping men to sustain an erection. If you’re concerned about erectile heartiness problem, you perhaps know about levitra 20 mg and levitra 10mg. Our article focuses on the symptoms of erectile dysfunction and you. More information about DRUG available at levitra 10 mg. Erectile dysfunction, defined as the persistent failure to maintain a satisfactory hard-on, act an estimated 15 to 30 millions men in the America alone. Why it happen? How common is erectile dysfunction? Unfortunately nearly all over-the-counter remedies have some kind of dangerous side effects, from headache to death. Commonly medications can cause side effects. If you experience some dangerous effects which you think may be due to this drug, speak with your physician.